The IVS Core can perform drug testing in mice and rats. Our staff is comprised of four research scientists with many years of experience and training working with research mice and rats. We can provide as much or as little assistance as needed. All services are charged at the hourly tech rate per technician.
IACUC Protocol Assistance
For UW investigators, all procedures must be described and approved on your protocol. For outside users, the IVS Core can assist you with setting up a new protocol.
Administration of Drugs and Experimental Compounds
IVS is able to perform a variety of administration methods on mice and rats, including IV injections with anesthesia and oral gavage. Other methods in which our staff is trained include Subcutaneous (SQ), Intraperitoneal (IP), Intramuscular (IM), and Retro Orbital (RO) injections. In most cases, the requesting investigator will provide the drug/experimental compound.
IVS is able to perform a variety of blood collection techniques on mice and rats. The most common sites for collection are submandibular, and orbital sinus, performed while the animal is under anesthesia. Cardiac draws are performed after euthanasia.
Prices and Guarantees
- All charges are based on tech time at $67.67 per hour per technician.
- Outside institutions are subject to surcharges and UW institutional overhead fees.
- The investigator is responsible for cage per diem costs.
- All procedures must be approved on the requesting investigator’s protocol.
- All IVS personnel performing any procedure will need to be listed on the requesting investigator’s approved protocol.
Please contact the IVS Program Manager, Bob Hunter to review your project.